When most people receive calls and letters from debt collectors, they assume: “well I owe the money they'll just keep calling me until I pay the debt.” That's where most people are wrong. If debt collectors are calling you or sending you letters you may have a lawsuit for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
You could get $1,000 or more. And the law provides for attorney's fees to be paid by the debt collector.
Debt collection is a volume business. But the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act is an incredibly technical act. That means that debt collectors frequently violate the Act. Common infractions include:
- Trying to collect too much money;
- Trying to collect on a debt that is not legally enforceable;
- Threatening litigation they don't intend to take;
- Calling too frequently or sending letters too frequently;
- Not giving proper disclosures;
- Reporting disputed debts to credit bureaus; and
- Collecting debts during bankruptcy or debts that have been discharged by bankruptcy.
If debt collectors are harassing you or sending you letters, call CTM Legal Group. An experienced Fair Debt Collection Practices Attorney will review your case and see if they can turn the tables and get the debt collector to give you money.
CTM Legal Group
312-818-6700 call today.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment